I still remember when McDonald’s opened in our small town of Delhi, NY. There was a huge blowup Ronald McDonald on the roof and a playground! My brothers and I begged to go there, as I’m sure all the other 30 kids in our town did. However, for a vegetarian family there isn’t much to eat there. We got creative and ordered a grilled cheese Happy Meals or apple pie for a snack. My favorite was breakfast though. I always ordered an Egg McMuffin with meat on the side (to bring home for our dog) and a hash brown. To this day it is still one of my favorite breakfasts.
After I saw Super Size Me, I didn’t eat McDonald’s for six years. I really missed those Egg McMuffins. Too bad Pinterest didn’t exist back then so I could look up recipes to make my own. I have been looking for large ramekins to bake the eggs in since I first pinned this breakfast sandwich recipe. On a recent shopping trip to the Pyrex outlet, I found a set of four glass dishes that are just the right size. Now I can make a batch on Sunday and we have a few breakfast sandwiches ready to grab from the freezer on our busy mornings.
- Butter or oil (to grease the dishes)
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 English muffins
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease bottoms and sides of 4 large ramekins or oven safe bowls (I used Pyrex)
- Place dishes on a cookie sheet
- Crack one egg in each dish
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until egg whites are set
- Allow eggs to cool
- Slice English muffins
- Place one egg and one slice of cheese on each English muffin
- Wrap each sandwich in parchment paper and place inside a sandwich bag
- Store in freezer until ready to eat
- To enjoy, remove from plastic bag and microwave sandwich on medium for 60-90 seconds
What do you have for breakfast on busy mornings?